Followers

This Movie Guy Headline Animator

Saturday, July 23, 2011

Happy Birthday, Philip Seymour Hoffman!

I know I've been posting a lot of birthday lists in the past few days, but when you've got a string of birthdays close together, it's hard for me to leave any particular individual out. The same goes for today's second birthday boy, Philip Seymour Hoffman. Hoffman has been a consistent presence on the Hollywood stage, proving himself to be one of the premiere actors around. His three Academy Award nominations - and one win for 2005's Capote - say enough about his critical success as an actor, but I personally believe he should have received much more praise than that. As proof of my fanaticism with Hoffman's work, I've chosen to give you my top ten roles, rather than my usual top five, for his tribute post. So without any further delay, here's my ten favorite Philip Seymour Hoffman roles. Enjoy!


10. Reverend Veasey
Cold Mountain (2003)

----------

9. Brandt
The Big Lebowski (1998)


----------

8. The Count
Pirate Radio (2009)


----------

7. Freddie Miles
The Talented Mr. Ripley (1999)

----------

6. Scotty J.
Boogie Nights (1997)


----------

5. Truman Capote
Capote (2005)

----------

4. Jacob Elinsky
25th Hour (2002)


----------

3. Father Brendan Flynn
Doubt (2008)


----------

2. Lester Bangs
Almost Famous (2000)


----------

1. Allen
Happiness (1998)


----------

Awards
1998: Nominee - Best Supporting Actor, Comedy
1999: Nominee - Best Cameo or Brief Appearance
2000: Winner - Best Cameo or Brief Appearance
2002: Nominee - Best Supporting Actor, Drama
2008: Nominee - Best Supporting Actor, Drama
2009: Nominee - Best Voice Acting

No comments:

Post a Comment