Followers

This Movie Guy Headline Animator

Friday, December 10, 2010

Movie Review: THE TOURIST

THE TOURIST
2010
PG-13

You can watch the trailer here

The Tourist is a 2010 action thriller directed by Florian Henckel von Donnersmarck that follows Elise Clifton-Ward (Angelina Jolie), the lover of an internationally-wanted criminal. When her lover, Alexander Pearce, tells her to find a man who could pose as him, Elise chooses Frank (Johnny Depp), a widower on vacation in Venice, Italy. She panders to him, making it seem as though she is interested in him, but the audience knows that it is just a guise to throw off the people following her in the hopes of catching Pearce. Honestly, I'd go into more detail, but all the twists and turns essentially prevent me from doing so if I want to go through with this review without giving away too much of the storyline.

The screenplay is good enough to keep you captivated with the film, but for me, it became very predictable very quickly. I figured out the film's final twist about halfway through the film, and the moment I learned I was correct, I lost all faith and interest in the movie. This does not mean that it's not a good twist; instead, it means that the screenplay was not crafted well enough so as to keep it hidden from me, at least. There were a couple people applauding at the end of the movie, so maybe I was just a little more perceptive? I'm really not sure...

The acting is good, but it's definitely not up to snuff with what Jolie and Depp have proven they're capable of doing. Even Paul Bettany, whom I usually love and adore, was average at best with his role. It's not that they're terrible, but when you look at these two leads, you just expect so much more out of them. Granted, it could be how the parts were written, but I feel like Jolie, and especially Depp, are very good at making the most out of very little. I was just a little disappointed with the both of them.

I know this review is very short, but there really isn't all that much to say. I found The Tourist to be rather dull and entirely predictable. I'm not saying you won't enjoy - it seemed like others in the theater really liked it - but for me, it was just another run-of-the-mill, entirely forgettable film.


Movie Review Summary:
Grade: C
Thumb... Slightly Down


No comments:

Post a Comment