Followers

This Movie Guy Headline Animator

Saturday, December 18, 2010

Movie Review: ROSENCRANTZ AND GUILDENSTERN ARE UNDEAD

ROSENCRANTZ AND GUILDENSTERN ARE UNDEAD
2010
Not Rated

You can watch the trailer here

I first heard about this movie during my last semester in college when a way-too-obsessed-with-theater teacher played us the trailer during class (yes, we were reading Rosencrantz & Guildenstern Are Dead, so it made sense). In some ways, I wish I'd never heard of it.

This movie, which was directed by Jordan Galland, follows Julian (Jake Hoffman), a former theater director turned slacker living in his father's doctor's office. His father sends him to an interview to be the director of a local theater's production of Shakespeare's Hamlet. Little does Julian know that the creepy writer (John Ventimiglia) and his female minions are actually vampires with ulterior motives. Julian brings his best friend Vince (Kris Lemche) and his ex-girlfriend Anna (Devon Aoki), who he still loves, into the production, unknowingly risking their lives as well.

Honestly, the story makes little to no sense. I had a hard time following along, and although I found a couple of lines easy to laugh at (but you'd need knowledge of either Hamlet or Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead to understand them), it just wasn't that funny. It was just too much to try to follow and be entertained all at the same time.

The acting wasn't horrendous, but you can't quite say it was good, either. Hoffman (who happens to be the son of two-time Oscar winner Dustin Hoffman) does just enough to make us pay attention to him. Aside from that, there's nothing worth merit until we get a little bit of a cameo from Hamlet himself, played quite hilariously by Joey Kern.

As much as I could deride this movie, there's just something about it that's a little bit charming. I mean, who would have ever thought to mix Shakespeare and vampires? I don't think it'll ever garner a cult following, but would I buy the DVD? I just might. I just might.


Movie Review Summary:
Grade: D
Thumb... Sideways

No comments:

Post a Comment