Followers

This Movie Guy Headline Animator

Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Movie Review: DELICATESSEN

DELICATESSEN
1992
R


You can watch the trailer here

(This review is going to be short, solely based on the fact that I'm utterly exhausted.)

Apparently not every foreign film that makes it to the U.S. market is a good one. Maybe I've been spoiling myself a little bit, taking some of the foreign films that have been nominated for Academy Awards. When two of the best French films you've ever seen are Amélie and The 400 Blows, you'll be hard pressed to find another French film to add to that group.

Acting isn't the issue here. Our two leads (Dominique Pinon and Marie-Laure Dougnac) perform well, even if the supporting roles are a little ridiculous. I blame that more on the screenplay than the actors' ability. It's convoluted and confusing, and I really didn't have much of an idea of what was going on.

However, the biggest issue I had with the film is that I didn't react the way the filmmakers wanted me to. It was promoted as a horror-comedy, but I wasn't scared, and I definitely wasn't laughing. If anything, I was just bored throughout. This is a huge hit against the screenplay and the direction of Marc Caro and Jean-Pierre Jeunet. I couldn't get into it, and that drastically hurt it's ability to entertain me. It was just a waste of one hundred minutes for me.


Movie Review Summary:
Grade: D+
Thumb... Down

No comments:

Post a Comment