Followers

This Movie Guy Headline Animator

Sunday, January 30, 2011

Movie Review: SUPER HIGH ME

SUPER HIGH ME
2008
R



Super High Me is a 2008 documentary in the mold of the 2004 documentary Super Size Me, which followed Morgan Spurlock as he spent thirty days eating only McDonalds. In this film, directed by Michael Blieden, we see comedian Doug Benson, an admitted pot smoker, spend thirty days in sobriety - he abstained from both marijuana and alcohol - before spending the following thirty days remaining as high as he could manage. The goal of the film was to see whether marijuana has any real effects on health, memory and cognitive thinking. In addition to Benson's adventures, which are interspersed with bits of his stand-up routine that deal with marijuana, the audience is given facts about the state of marijuana legislation both in California and on a federal level. We also get an inside look at some of the dispensaries around L.A. and Oakland, which are aptly called "Los Ganjales" and "Oaksterdam" throughout the film, respectively.

Let's just be up front: this movie is one of the funniest flicks about weed that you'll probably ever see. If you're a fan of Doug Benson, this is a definite must-see just for his comedy and his approach to this endeavor. That being said, I also feel like the movie was rather informative, giving enough facts here and there to make it more than just about a guy who doesn't get high then decides to get high again.

Now, I've never smoked nor have any real desire to do so, but I have been around marijuana for extended periods of time, so I've seen first-hand its effects on people. I probably know more about weed than I ever really wanted to know, but that's what you really learn in college, right? I've known stoners who were the coolest people around, but I've also known some who were the biggest assholes I've ever met, so I have mixed feelings about the usage of marijuana. I'm not going to get into a political statement here on this blog - I'm apathetic towards politics, in case you're wondering - but I think that Super High Me works both for and against the pro-medicinal marijuana movement. We see people that truly need medicinal marijuana, but I personally know people who abuse the system, so I can't be entirely sold on its effectiveness.

That being said, Super High Me is a fun documentary that's sure to have you rolling with laughter. Get ready for some awesome cameos from some very familiar faces. Be on the lookout for people like Brian Posehn, Jeffrey Ross, Patton Oswalt, Rob Riggle, Sarah Silverman and Zach Galifianakis. Other than that, just sit back and enjoy the THC-laced ride, driven by Doug Benson.

Movie Review Summary:
Grade: B+
2 Thumbs Up

Addition to Awards

No comments:

Post a Comment